9 June 2011

I am a slut, but not a slut. Simple.

Call me harsh, but I don't think any of you are in
any danger of sexual assault or being called slut?


This slutwalk business. I don't get it. I do not get it people. I've tried to get it, but I always end up needing to lie down. From my research and what I've been hearing in my ear piece just now it seems the goals of this movement are two fold:

1. To remind us, the police and judiciary that if a women was dressed like a slut doesn't mean she was one and is therefore not culpable for any sexual assault she may have endured.

2. The reappropriation of the word slut.

Here's where I struggle; are these two goals not contrary to each other? On the one hand they're asking people to accept that they are not sluts just because they are dressing provocatively. And on the other hand they're also aiming to reclaim the word slut so that it won't mean dirty whore any more. Goal number two makes being a slut OK, while goal number one requires that no one confuses them with being an 'orrible slut.

Silly.

Also and anyway, reclaiming words is just the most ridiculous nonsense. It's something lefty, green tea drinking, sandal wearing people who have never really been subjected to any real prejudice dream up in their homes while they paint pictures using their own menstrual blood or strum those massive Indian guitars that always sound out of tune.

Words, like those guitars are just noise.The sentiments they represent is where the danger comes from. It's prejudice that is dangerous not linguistics. In the past the African 'mercan community have tried to reclaim the word "nigger." Jews have tried to reclaim "Yid." And whoopsies have tried to reclaim "faggot."

What has all this reclaiming acheived? As much as recycling. Nothing. Is there no racial bigotry anymore? No antisemitism? Can homosexuals find work anywhere but the BBC? No.

I will wager that while the average lefty thinking academic African 'mercan type may think that "nigger" has been reclaimed, if he were cornered by a group of white gentlemen from Alabama and repeatedly called nigger while a noose was prepared for him, he might have to accept that the moral victory of the word being reclaimed isn't quite worth so much as they thought in the practical sense.

Reappropriation is thinking on too high a level for really ignorant prejudiced people to appreciate. If reappropriation worked there wouldn't be any prejudice in the first place, so it wouldn't be necessary.

It won't matter if 90% of a country understand the theory if the really dangerous 10% are oblivious to it. If reappropriation was really effective Dr Martin Luther the King would have had everyone sprawl "I am a nigger" on their sandwich boards instead of "I am a man."

Dr King's aspirations were a little higher in reclaiming dignity rather than words and I fancy those who experienced the sharp end of the civil rights movement up close and all generations since were thankful of it.

Now then..I've ordered a little trolly to cart my O2 cyclinder around. I just hope it arrives in time for slutwalk London on Saturday as I am hoping to get me some.

No comments: